So today is International Women’s day. International Women’s Day is a worldwide event that celebrates women’s achievements – from the political to the social – while calling for gender equality.
It has been around since the early 1900s and is now celebrated every year. It brings together governments, women’s organisations, corporations and charities.
This year’s theme is #BeBoldForChange – You can watch a short video about what being bold means here
This got me thinking about bold women….
You’ve got women like Ellen Mcarthur the solo long-distance yachtswoman. On 7 February 2005 she broke the world record for the fastest solo circumnavigation of the globe, a feat which gained her international renown.
Or Aviator Amelia Earhart before becoming the first woman to fly an aircraft across the Atlantic Ocean in 1928.
Or how about Rosa Parks, a 42-year-old African-American seamstress refused to give up her seat in 1955 to a white passenger on the Montgomery City bus.
And of course suffragette Emmeline Pankhurst who shaped an idea of women for our time and shook society into a new pattern from which there could be no going back In 1903. She staged hunger strikes and withstood violence and abuse to enable all women the right to vote.
And Malala Yousafzai who was shot 3 times in the head on a school bus in Pakistan because she had spoken out about education. She is now said to be one of ‘The 100 Most Influential People in the World’ and co-received the Novel Peace Prize in 2014, aged 17 years old.
So what makes a bold woman?
What all the women above have in common is a purpose. An inner calling to do what it is that they believe in. To be true to themselves.. These women are great women to remember this International Women’s Day. They were fully aware of their values and fully aligned to their purpose. That gave them the energy and the confidence to pursue their very different dreams and beliefs.
Now we won’t all have a purpose maybe as big as theirs but EVERY. SINGLE. WOMAN. has:
- A heart
- A purpose
- And the ability to be bold
I see it all the time in my Hypnotherapy practice. People who have let life get in the way and they’ve forgotten these bits of themselves. Then we start doing some ‘work of the self’ and there they are. Eyes brighter and sparkling, remembering those parts of themselves that they’d forgotten. Their fire ignited and that inner strength alive.
What will your bold thing be?
Being bold can be anything! It doesn’t have to change the world, it just needs to feel brave to you. How about:
If you are dealing with a phobia or anxiety it might be:
- Putting a spider out by yourself
- Driving on a motorway
- Flying without fear
- Giving a presentation
If you are depressed it might be:
- Telling someone how you are feeling
- Leaving the house
- Making new friends
- Seeking some help
If you want to lose weight it might be:
- Commiting to a date to start healthy eating
- Joining a gym
- Getting a bike
- Telling people you want to change
- Admitting to yourself you aren’t really happy as you are
If you lack confidence it might be:
- Stop being a people pleaser
- Saying ‘no’ to people who scare you
- Saying what you really think
- Starting a new hobby
- Speaking to new people
Show the world your bold!
Being a bold woman is being who you really are. Showing the world who you are. Not being afraid to be different. Not being afraid to speak up or speak out. You can be bold in your own time and on your terms.
You can have a great job, run a business, bring up children, travel, be single or in relationship. Your life can be whatever you want it to be. You might just need to be bold to make it so.
Let’s get bold together
Sign up for my newsletter here or ask me about how Hypnotherapy can help you find your bold.
Sending bold vibes 🙂
What is your Unique Selling Point?
Do you worry that you are not good enough? Maybe you want to be thinner, richer, funnier, faster, slower, taller, shorter or more intelligent.
Maybe you spend a lot of time comparing yourself to others? This will probably not make you feel good as there will always be someone with something that you don’t have. But what they won’t have is your smile, friends, loved ones, wit, originality, creativity, look in your eye, smile, hair, smell etc. It really doesn’t matter what anyone else is, no one is you and that is your power.
What USPs do you like?
In sales and marketing this is known as the ‘USP’ (unique selling point). Consumers are always on the look out for that USP. They wants things that are special and unique.
Think about it. In life there are some things that you know, trust and love more than others:
- A particular pen that writes nicely. You might have lost the lid or the ink might be really expensive but you love that pen
- A chocolate that you just love to devour. Maybe you buy it and have a particular time in mind when you will indulge with it
- A lover that makes you melt like no other
- A flower that you love the smell of
- A scruffy pair of tracks suit bottoms that are just sooooo comfortable
- A dinner that a particular person made or makes for you. It’s just the way they make it (nans usually feature quite highly here)
- A teddy bear that you love
- A pillow that is so snuggly
- Your favourite bowl (the chipped one)
- That server in your coffee shop with the crazy hair that makes your coffee exactly how you like it
- Your friends laugh that is a bit too loud in public places but hey, it makes you laugh too
- That pet that makes a mess of your house but you wouldn’t be without
- Your favourite sausages
- Your favourite band that sang a song that has since been covered but its just not the same
- The writer that write books you can’t put down and stay up late reading
- Your favourite actor. It doesn’t matter what he’s in, you’ll still watch it
- And of course your special loved ones and friends for all their unique qualities that make them their amazing selves
The point is these things are special and important to you. They have something else that other things don’t and that is their power.
So have a think about your USPs. The things that make you special. Do you know what they are? Do you know what other people think they are? I feel an exercise coming on….
Here’s the plan.
- Make a list of 10 things that make you special
- Make a list of 5 things that are unique about you
- Write down one physical thing you like about yourself
- Ask people close to you to do this for you to.
Rejoice in your special uniqueness and remember the people that care about you like you just the way you are….